Re: Comments on draft-adrangi-radius-extension-for-pwlan-00.txt

Adrangi, Farid wrote:

1) Define a format/syntax by which the information can be represented
(i.e., what
   is currently being defined in the draft)
2) Use Subtypes (there has been some discussion on the mailing list;
however, I
   am not sure about the final conclusion)
3) Separate attributes

We are not locked on a particular approach and open to ideas and
suggestions. Do you have any suggestion how we can reach consensus on this? Do you want
me to revise
the draft to include all three format/syntax with pros and cons of each?

Not really. One way is enough. Its up to the WG what that way is of course -- my preference is alt 3.

 o  Address type "Public and Private": I have trouble
    seeing how this works in IPv4.

[FA] There are two aspects to this feature. One is to enable Access
Network
to advertise its capability about private or public address assignment
for a
given WLAN client, and to enable the home RADIUS server to specify the
desired
address type option. The other is how the Access Network is going to
enforce
the specified address type option (private or public address) when the
client does a DHCP request - which IMO, this is outside the scope of the
document and perhaps we should be more explicit about it. Which aspect of the
feature do you have problem with? [FA]

1) Presumably, lack of indication about the address type from the home network would be taken as either type being acceptable? If yes, public+private option may not be necessary.

2) If you were to *enforce* the selection from the home network,
then public+private option would not work.

3) I get a bit worried that lack of enforcement is going to
cause problems. Is it a general approach for AAA attributes
from the home server to be hints? Is someone's billing going
to be based on a public or private address being provided?
Or is this simply a result of backwards compatibility i.e.
we do not wish to disable access from NASes that do not
yet support these new attributes?

 o  Sect 2.7 overlaps with draft-black. I liked the
    draft-black approach better.

[FA] Yes, there is an overlap between two drafts. We should definitely
discuss which
method is better - we also think there is a need for an access network
to advertise
its network rate capability as well. I am currently making some changes
to the text and the format/syntax. [FA]

Ok. Thanks for your response.

--Jari