Re: QoS attributes

Avi Lior wrote:

In the current drafts folks are talking about QoS but are only specifying
Bandwidth attributes.  There are other QoS attributes. The problem is that
there are a lot of different QoS attributes and different flavours as well.
The question is which attributes and flavours should be modelled.

I think we need a RADIUS QoS Draft in general.  I started to write one and
stopped to see what was going on in a couple of other areas. (For example
Diameter and as well, work in 3GPP2 where the interface between the PDSN and
the AAA will be used to query and transport QoS attributes).

For example, one of the useful things about the CoA is that now I can change
the QoS attributes of a session mid stream.  So it would be useful to define
these attributes (and not just Bandwidth).

I agree that there are other QoS attributes. In fact, there are so many and so different that this may be a problem.

Define just a limited set of bandwidth qos attributes and
be satisfied with limited capabilities this offers? Or
define link layer specific detailed qos attributes, and
deal with the lack of server-side understanding of new
link layers and the diversity of the parameters for different
links? Or try to come up with a general definition that
suits everyone, and probably take a long time to finish? ;-)

I think that at least the first approach makes sense. You
Avi have looked into it more deeply, what do you think?
Can we find a reasonable QoS attribute set without spending
too much time?

--Jari