RE: QoS attributes

Avi writes...

> It requires that each Hot Spot for example understand what to deliver
to a
> Bronze User or a Gold user etc.....
>
> Like filter id, this just does not scale!

Given the variety of possible parameters and capabilities, based on the
NAS, and its uplinks, getting too specific doesn't scale either.  If the
description is too loose, the customer may get "less" than they expect.
Or conversely, the customer may get "more" that their home provider
thinks the customer is entitled to.  For example, if the "minimum"
guaranteed bandwidth is 1.5 MB/s, and the NAS can only provide 1.0 MB/s
at that time, should the session set-up fail?  Would the customer rather
have the 1.0 MB/s then and there, or would they rather be forced to seek
an alternate roaming provider?  The possible "negotiations" and
"exceptions" could become daunting for any of the parties to handle in
an effective and predictable fashion.

> We need a way to explicitly push attributes down to the NAS.  Equally
> important is to make sure that the NAS tell us what it can currently
> honour.

Do we want the AAA protocol to also be the QoS parameter provisioning
protocol?  We went down that road with COPS-PR.  Or do we simply want
the AAA protocol to bind authorized users to general classes of QoS that
are provisioned by some more appropriate protocol?

-- Dave