SIP AAA and QoS Attributes

- SIP UASs (eg. SIP Proxies, PSTN Gateways, Application Servers) use
SIP specific RADIUS (or DIAMETER) attributes to do AAA for SIP specific
services (I am working on an updated version of the sterman draft which
should be available at the beginning of february).

- RSVP / NSIS etc. routers or other intermediaries involved with resource
reservation use their own RADIUS (or DIAMETER) attributes. I am really
astonished that there isn't more activity in this area. Who would invest
into a public bandwidth reservation architecture without being able to
charge for it?

- Media Accounting is a bit different from QoS acounting. QoS accounting
says: 'A has reserved a flow of x kb/s for 120 seconds', while Media
Accounting says: 'A has sent x packets and received y packets. The session
duration was z seconds, the average roundtrip delay was p, the average
jitter buffer length was q, there were r seconds with errors etc'. Media
Accounting is necessary if there is no resource reservation available.

SIP and resource reservation should be kept separate. The SIP WG still
fights bravely against any attempts to make SIP a resource reservation
protocol.

--
Wolfgang Beck
T-Systems GmbH