Re: FW: HTTP digest and RADIUS; new version of the Sterman draft

> Alan DeKok writes...
>
> > > The technical arguments that I have heard (and advanced) against
> > > sub-types are that it changes the RADIUS architecture (simple TLV
> > > structures), requires changes to the RADIUS dictionary, and breaks
> > > backwards compatibility with a large deployed base of RADIUS
> products.
> >
> >   ... which we already know won't understand the new attributes.
>
> Yes, but they could by updating their dictionary file (or equivalent
> dictionary implementation).  I guess that was the point of my admittedly
> imperfect analogy with SNMP -- data dictionary driven protocol parsing,
> as opposed to code driven parsing.  I argue that adding sub-types means
> changing the parsing code.

Catching up on this discussion... Would the code changes you
mention be necessary for all RADIUS endpoints or only those
that wish to understand sub-typed attributes?  I would think
that sub-typed data (as in Diameter) could be structured to
look like a regular attribute at the highest level. And at
that level these attributes would be ignored by endpoints
that don't have definitions for them.  That would seem to
indicate that sub-typed data could be compatible with existing
devices, but code changes would be necessary to take advantage
of the new attributes.  As to the code changes, I would imagine
that most RADIUS client/servers already have code to parse
structured values as many VSA values have structured data.

One advantage of formalizing sub-typed data might be to imposing
or strongly encouraging that same structured framework on VSAs.
I'm fearful of heading towards lots of different VSA structures,
e.g. IS-835 has at least a couple different VSA-specific ways
of sub-typing data.

Greg