Re: Private NAIs (Was: Re: rfc2486bis)

Bernard Aboba wrote:

Relaxing the requirement on FQDN allocation would open up a can of worms
that is best left closed.  For example, Diameter can use DNS for service
location; if the NAI realms are "private" then this will break.  Also, allocation of
"private" realms would presumably require a description of which realms
are "private" in order to reserve them.  The IETF does not in general
have the authority to allocate FQDNs -- that's the purview of ICANN.

I agree. If you think the requirement should be clarified (I guess this discussion is a proof that some clarification may be needed), would you prefer a MUST or a SHOULD?

--Jari