Re: RADEXT charter, Take 8

I was having some side conversations about RADIUS usage for prepaid, and wrote the following comment. Given the current discussions about whether event charging belongs in the charter, and whether subtypes belong within scope, it seems that the comment belongs on the list.

The RFPs we are seeing from Cellular (CDMA and GPRS) operators call for differential charging and time, volume, and event charging. Obviously, they do not care about whether a flat attribute space or sub-attributes are used. But they do need more information exchanged than just start time, expiration time, and stop time.
If the charter item is intended to allow that, then I am happy to separate the question of how the information should be structured from the question of whether the problem is in scope or not.

It does seem to me given the complexity of the necessary information that this does lead to allowing one level of subtype support within new attributes. And it does seem to me that such usage is backwards compatible with RADIUS RFCs.

Yours,
Joel