AW: structured string attributes, RADEXT charter, Take 8

Dave wrote:
> Basically, your position is that "flat" RADIUS TLV attributes are "bad".
> They cramp one's creativity, flexibility and the ability to arbitrarily
> "group" data items, as you could in a C-language data structure or as in an
> SMIv2 based MIB.  Is that correct?
No. My position is that there are attributes that don't make sense if they are
used alone.

For example, User-Name can be used with or without User-Password.
So, User-Name and User-Password are separate attributes.

On the other hand CHAP ident and CHAP response only make sense if they are used
together. So somebody grouped them into a single attribute. The same applies
for the HTTP digest extension.

The last draft charter says, that anybody proposing structured string attributes
must show that this does not break existing RfC-compliant implementations. I think
we are both - for different reasons - not very happy about it. This is one definition
of a compromise.

Wolfgang