RE: RADEXT charter, Take 8

Avi Lior writes...

> The current version of the prepaid document lines up with what 3GPP2
*has*
> done.  Ideally we want to maintain compatibility with 3GPP2 while
allowing
> other people to add their requirements thus continuing
interoperability
> with 3GPP2.

<snip>

> One thing to note is the I hope that we can do this a lot faster then
the
> current schedule. The reason is that prepaid is happening now big
time.
> Folks are starting to adopt this draft.  Dragging our feet will just
make
> the final work insignificant.

The current proposed charter gives us two options for dealing with this
issue.

(1) Maintain [some level of] compatibility with the 3GPP2 document (and
other similar documents) that bend the current IETF-sanctioned RADIUS
protocol architecture, virtually to the breaking point, certainly
introducing substantial backwards compatibility and multi-vendor
interoperability issues.  The charter proposal allows this to occur
*only* after design and interoperability guidelines have been written
and the thorny backwards compatibility issues have been thoroughly
studied and understood.  This will take a substantial investment of time
and energy.

(2) Basically admit that the 3GPP2 approach (and similar approaches) do
not fall within the current IETF-sanctioned RADIUS protocol architecture
and revise the relevant [WG] drafts so that the same functionality is
achieved, but in a fashion that maintains backward compatibility and
multi-vendor interoperability, and conformance with the current
implementations and architecture.  This approach can move forward
relatively quickly.

There is no viable third approach, IMHO, that achieves the protocol
outcome of approach (1) with the schedule outcome of approach (2).
That, again IMHO, would be tantamount to the IETF simply "rubber
stamping" work that had been done elsewhere, possibly without much
Internet Community review, and would fail to address the traditional
requirements for extensions to IETF Standards Track protocols.

-- Dave