RE: RADEXT charter, Take 8

I find this confusing. Let us use prepaid as an example. We are discussing an RFC on RADIUS prepaid. This RFC defines a set of behaviors to be used by RADIUS client and server. It defines a set of AVPs to be passed between these two entities. None of the specification has any effect on the RADIUS processing logic, RADIUS routing, or RADIUS proxy behavior. No devices which are not actively supporting pre-paid are affected by this work. No new messages are introduced.

Now, is that a RADIUS or Diameter RFC? It seems that if we want to include opaque blobs of information we should declare that the description is not a RADIUS or Diameter RFC. It would seem very odd to declare that this work needed to be done in a non-RADIUS non-Diameter working group since the only interesting supporting protocol is RADIUS. And even more so since we would like to be consistent with the existing work in the DIAMETER space (subject to not introducing new messages and other RADIUS restrictions.)

The distinction you are drawing (in a RADIUS or Diametter RFC) does not seem to relate to any aspect of protocol compatibility or on the wire behavior. Normally, the IETF tries to be more interested in whether the protocols we define make sense on the wire than on how we label the documents we put them in.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

PS: It is not impossible to define reasonable restrictions on the use of AVPs to avoid opening a pandora's box of complexity. But the distinction proposed here does not seem to help. And presumably it is not reasonable to declare that we need to wait a year while we reach agreement on what AVP forms are acceptable. We need something simple.