comments on draft-lior-radius-redirection-00.txt

Hi Avi, Farid,

I have read your draft, and found it generally well
written. The function it describes is useful. As usual, I do
have some comments:

Management:
===========

I'm not sure which RADEXT proposed charter workitem
this falls under. WLAN attributes? Prepaid? None?

Substantial:
============

6. Security Considerations

TBD

This type of considerations may have to be revised before the IESG approves them ;-) You may want to mention at least the following:

- Basic attribute transport has the same security
  issues as any attribute transport over RADIUS,
  refer to the security considerations of the
  base RFC.

- Limitations of filtering schemes. For instance, situations
  where the client and some other node in the
  internet conspire to hide some traffic under some protocol
  where its in reality something else.

   Redirection refers to an action taken by the NAS to redirect the
   user's traffic to an alternate location. Redirecting traffic in
   mid-session will most probably break some applications. However,
   Redirection at the start of a Service will most certainly work.

I may be missing something here. But I don't understand what you mean by "application" in this context. An IP application, or some specific AAA configuration? I'm pretty sure some IP applications break even with redirection at the start of the service...

   because their account has no more funds. The user's Service Provider
   instructs the NAS to block all traffic, and redirect any port 80
   traffic to the Service Provider's Prepaid Portal. Upon detecting that

This is probably the only possible model we can have, but you should point out the limitations. It works only if this is person and he or she uses the web application. Otherwise, your IP connection mysteriously dies...

3.1.2 Mid-session Redirection

   Redirection of traffic using tunnel mid-session involves sending the
   tunnel attributes as per RFC2868 [5] to the NAS using
   Change-of-Authorization (COA) packet. The operation is described in
   RFC3576 [8]. Careful attention should be paid to the security issues
   in RFC3576.

   Note that if the session is already tunneled (eg. Mobile-IP) then the
   COA packet with a new tunnel specification can be sent to the NAS or
   alternatively the redirection can occur at the tunnel endpoint (the
   Home Agent) using any one of these methods.

It isn't clear to me that mid-session tunnel establisment is always possible. For instance, what if we are terminating PPP at the NAS, and then suddenly the home network requests the session to be moved on top of L2TP? I think that would have to imply either (a) context transfer of PPP session to another location (!) or (b) tearing down the PPP session and renegging and authenticating everything.

   There is one kind of packet that the access device MUST always
   discard, that is an IP fragment with a fragment offset of one. This
   is a valid packet, but it only has one use, to try to circumvent
   firewalls.

I'm pretty sure there are other attack-only packets. I suspect the definition of those packets belongs to another document.

> 4.1 NAS-Filter-Rule Attribute

Can it happen that the text is too long for a RADIUS
attribute?

Diameter Compatibility Issues:
==============================

- Section 1 could perhaps talk about what functions
  exist in Diameter, how that compares to this specification,
  and point to the section that talks about the translation.

- Add a section on the translation. If you need help,
  I can provide some text, but I think you know what
  needs to be done.

   As pointed out by NASREQ the use Filter-Id is not roaming friendly
   and it is recommended that instead one should use
   NAS-Filter-Rule(400) AVP. For this reason, this document introduces
   NAS-Filter-Rule(TBD) to RADIUS.

This seems to be a case where we add a new attribute to RADIUS where there already exists a Diameter AVP in Diameter AVP code space. That is fine otherwise, but a system that works according to the NASREQ translation rules would map the new RADIUS attribute to the corresponding RADIUS code space AVP in Diameter, rather than using the existing Diameter AVP, making interoperability hard. This can be solved by having the translation agent treat this attribute as a special case, but it is not as nice is one could hope for. If anyone has good suggestions how to solve this, let me know...

Editorial:
==========

   The text conforms to the following specification (taken from Diameter
   IPFilterRule Type):

Just as an editorial thing, I wonder if a reference to RFC 3588 would work better here. Then if there's a future extension of the filter rules some day, we could track those better.

8. Open Issues

Delete.

   An implementation is not compliant if it fails to satisfy one or more
   of the must or must not requirements for the protocols it implements.
   An implementation that satisfies all the must, must not, should and
   should not requirements for its protocols is said to be
   "unconditionally compliant"; one that satisfies all the must and must
   not requirements but not all the should or should not requirements
   for its protocols is said to be "conditionally compliant".

Capitalization of keywords?

   Today this capability is supported in RADIUS
   and is configurable during service establishment and mid-service via
   the Filter-Id(11) attribute.

I would prefer seeing Filter-Id [Ref], ie. pointer to the spec rather than the number. But maybe its just me...

   As pointed out by NASREQ the use Filter-Id is not roaming friendly
   and it is recommended that instead one should use
   NAS-Filter-Rule(400) AVP. For this reason, this document introduces
   NAS-Filter-Rule(TBD) to RADIUS.

Maybe "As pointed out in [some reference] the use Filter-Id is not roaming friendly due to the need to have a globally agreed filter lists. Diameter NASREQ [Diameter NASREQ] defines the NAS-Filter-Rule(400) AVP for this reason. This document introduces the corresponding AVP to RADIUS.

4.3 Redirection-Rule

Is there some duplication with the filter format definion here vs. Section 4.1?

--Jari