RE: User Alias Identity (Was: Re: comments on draft-adrangi-radius-attributes-extension-00.tx)

iPass decorates the NAI via our Smart-Client/Supplicant to provide an
identity that navigates the local RADIUS infrastructure to select our
AAA exchange for purposes of mediated access.  This decoration is
independent from any customer-level decorations to navigate to the Home
AAA or via a reseller arrangement.

The Accounting User-Name attribute replacement, returning the inner
identity, completely breaks the ability for the accounting messages to
follow the same path that the authentication events took based on the
promiscuous decoration of the NAI to form supply arrangements, basically
dropping them on the floor.

Using the last revision of the AP firmware, all is well... but a simple
upgrade and all accounting stops unless a domain-specific or DEFAULT
route is used to capture them (which is worse than the cure).  Whoops!
Therefore, in order to maintain the initially provided NAI decorations
(which we can resolve since we put them there), we must not pass back
the User-Name in the Access-Accept even though it is highly recommended.

The question is, is this an acceptable control of this function, simply
allowing the User-Name to return in the Access-Accept where we can be
assured of proper accounting transmission, but then not include the
User-Name when keeping the originally presented NAI is required to
navigate mediated roaming exchanges by a decoration other than those
provisioned or controlled by the Home Authentication Server (who is
consuming the network, but not necessarily decorating an NAI for
purposes of footprint aggregation or mediated roaming services).

-Blair