Re: AW: Privacy (Was: Re: NAI decoration: User Identity issues)

Bernard Aboba wrote:

Bernard,

Possibly. In the Netherlands most universities are in such a 'roaming
consortium' to provide guest access to eachothers wireless LANs based on
802.1X+RADIUS. Some universities want to know the real identity of a
user in case of abuse. The alternative is to agree on a logging format
so that abuse can be tracked down by contacting the home organisation of
the user, but this may be difficult (many log entries for
anonymous@university-a.nl) and requires in any case a lot of coordination.
And a bit further along the road, possibly the visited institution wants
to do more advance authorisation based on the identity of the user (did
he complete math101, is he a staff member etc.)

Can this particular scenario be handled by the attributes that exist
(User-Name, Class) or are being discussed (Billable-Identity)?

To be totally honest, I don't know. I hope to get some students to investigate this. I really don't know what would be best/possible, use RADIUS for this or perhaps keep the RADIUS infrastructure relatively stupid and try to solve this in EAP (talking SAML over EAP??). Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Klaas