Re: shared secret vulnerability

At 8/4/2004 04:50 PM, Joshua Wright wrote:
While I believe this algorithm is effective at adding entropy to a password such as the RADIUS secret, it does not resolve the issue of a widespread shared secret distributed throughout an organization. Without a mechanism in place to regularly change the secret, the use of shared secrets in this fashion is reminiscent of WEP pre-shared keys. As most people are painfully aware, shared secret do not stay secretive.

While I agree with the sentiment, I'd like to attempt to point out another possible implementation issue.

Unlike WEP, there is nothing in RADIUS that requires the shared secrets to be the same for all partners. In many (most?) implementations, the secret can be unique for each source IP address. Essentially any pair of RADIUS client/servers can have unique secrets.

Dave.