RE: -01 version of Chargeable User Identity

owner-radiusext@ops.ietf.org <mailto:owner-radiusext@ops.ietf.org>
writes:

>> A bigger question is the expected behavior by NAS and RADIUS
server.

>> What is the purpose of the "null CUI" attribute in the
>> Access-Request?  Is this to inform the RADIUS server that the NAS
>> supports CUI, in case the RADIUS server supports it and wants to
use
>> it?
>
> Yes, this is the reason, at least IMO.  If so, I propose the
following
> text:
>
> "
> The NAS SHOULD include the CUI attribute with a nul value in the
> Access-Request message to advertise its support for this attribute
> the RADIUS server.  In cases where the CUI is required for the
proper
> billing and the home RADIUS server cannot determine the NAS
support
> for the CUI attribute, the home RADIUS server MAY reject the
request
> by sending an Access-Reject message containing a Reply-Message(18)
> attribute indicating the failure text: "CUI is missing". "

Given that the Reply-message attribute is meant to be displayed to
the user, don't you think that "CUI is missing" is a little cryptic?
Not to mention that, even if the user is one of us (and thus might
recognize it), what is (s)he to do about the problem?

> Your comment?
>
>> Or is it a
>> statement from
>> the NAS that "the RADIUS server MUST support CUI or I won't
provide
>> service."
>>
>> The latter is more problematic, because the RADIUS server could
send
>> an Access-Accept with no CUI attribute, and then wonder why the
NAS
>> never sent an Accounting packet indicating that service started.
Or
>> is the intent for a non-supporting RADIUS server to send an
>> Access-Reject?  If so, then we need to verify that existing
RADIUS
>> servers that don't support CUI actually behave this way.

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by
simply
listening to John Coltrane?
  -- Henry Gabriel