RE: Clearinghouse/Aggregator Support for CUI

If you desire opaque data, then use CLASS.  That is what it is for.  CUI
must be visible to all parties and if you want it to be private, then
don't pass-back a real User-Name in the Access-Accept...or if you can
correlate it directly from the NAI, don't pass a User-Name at all.   I
would say use the CUI in the Access-Accept in order to signal desire to
use the attribute, but we should pay attention to legacy AAA endpoints
for things like TTLS/PAP or CHAP functionality with downwards
compatibility.

Mediating networks who oversee the aggregation of footprint for
reselling network services will need to have visibility into this CUI
string.   The CUI should be transparent to all parties.  If the Home
network or any trusted AAA authority wishes to send an alias or
hash/encode the string prior to transmission so that it is private or
opaque, fine and dandy, but the CUI must be a STRING and cleartext
possible.

An Anonymous TTLS/PEAP using a logical alias CUI, in effect provides the
necessary privacy while still maintaining service oversight on a
per-user/per-session basis.

i.e., every time I login, my Accounting would appear as:

User-Name=IPASS/anonymous@corp.ipass.com
Chargeable-User-Identity=x4188  (or bbullock)

The need is truly for a correlate to the authorized profile, but not
transmitted over the EAP ID which is interceptable.  Since the CUI only
transports between the NAS and the Home authentication server over a
privately peered proxy network and is never broadcast over the air,
there is no exposure to 3rd parties unless your RADIUS stream has been
compromised....and if so, you have bigger problems than maintaining CUI
privacy.  Besides, this is an Accounting stream which contains no
authentication credential...they are already clear!  This actually
allows us all to use anonymous tunneled EAP logins without losing the
actual user identity and without transmitting that user's ID over the
air.

Blair