RE: [Sterman Issue 7] Message Authenticator: Options

Hi Jarri,

This is a problem for RADIUS in general. The discussion started around the
use of message authenticator for the digest draft.

Mandating Ipsec. Hmmmmm Ipsec could be mandated but I don't see that it will
be used in RADIUS.

> Also, should RADIUS Digest go through unmodified,
> standard RADIUS proxies? If so, how would they be aware of
> a new AVP that they need to process?

Yes that would be a problem.  They wouldn't be aware of it. So there is that
issue as well.

> Finally, if MD5 is bad, wouldn't that be a problem for
> most Digest usage, RADIUS or not, given that the only
> algorithms supported now are MD5 and AKA? I guess I'm asking
> what makes the Message-Authenticator usage of MD5 different
> from other RADIUS usage of MD5 or Digest usage of MD5, both
> of which have to be relied upon anyway? Or is the issue that
> the MD5 usage in Message-Authenticator is particularly vulnerable?

It seems that everyone thinks MD5 is bad.

But note that in fact Message-Authenticator (is HMAC-MD5 based) and is *not*
vunerable  (as I understand it).

MD5 is vunerable in that we can easily create collisions.  But as Chiba
pointed out,

"From what I understand, having an easy way to generate collisions does
not mean that it will be easy to create valid RADIUS packets that result
in the collision hash."

Not being a security expert, I would be interested to see analysis if it is
feasable to apply the MD5 attacks to RADIUS messages.