RE: backwards compatible introduction of NEW attribute such as CUI

Hi David, all
Thanks.  Please see my response inline.
BR,
Farid

Yes, it would be.  I need to check RFC 3576 to find out the procedure for adding a new value to the Error-Cause.

> > Otherwise, the home RADIUS server MUST send both the UserName
> > (1) attribute and the CUI attribute, with the understanding that if
> > the NAS supports the CUI attribute the CUI attribute will override
> > the identity portion the UserName (1) attribute.
>
> DBN:  I think you want to qualify this MUST statement with
> "if the authentication is successful".  That is probably
> understood from context, but added clarity may be helpful.

Yes. Good point.

> > That is, the UserName(1) attribute will be used for routing
> and the CUI
> > attribute will be used for identity purposes.
> >"
> >
> > Before we get into developing a protocol (as suggested below) to
> > determine the CUI support, I would like to know why the above
> > paragraph does not address the backward compatibility problem.
>
> DBN: IMHO, it does.
>
> DBN:  Editorial nits:  "UserName (1)" is User-Name (1)". Do
> you want to use the text "CUI attribute" or do you want to
> spell out a standard format RADIUS attribute name. e.g.
> "Chargeable-User-ID (tba)"?

Will change to User-Name(1).  CUI is shorter, but I am okay with using Chargeable-User-ID instead.