Re: CUI issue 22 (was AW: CUI - issues addressed in version 3

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 12:13:45PM +0100, Lothar Reith wrote:
> Barney wrote:Adrangi, Farid
>
> Issue 22 is about which party requires that CUI be present.  Given the
> business case claimed, it appears to be the NAS owner or proxy, not the
> server owner.  If that's so, the draft's suggestions on how to indicate
> support for CUI seem backwards.  If the NAS or a proxy
> *requires* CUI, rather than simply supporting it, that's the case where
> putting a null CUI in the Request makes sense, and an Accept that comes back
> without CUI can then be treated as a Reject.
>
> Lothar:
> Interesting proposal to turn the whole logic upside down, but I tend to
> disagree.
>
> Justification:
> 1) It is unclear how a NAS owner or Proxy can determine this "requirement".
> I say in some scenarious it is impossible, leading to an "always advertise"
> because the NAS owner "MAY require presence of CUI but cannot determine if
> he requires presence of CUI".

If the NAS owner or proxy owner doesn't know, how does the server owner?
See my response to 2.

> 2) it is unclear what Barney means with "presence of CUI". It could mean the
> NAS owner requires "presence of CUI in the Access-Accept", whereas the
> Server requires "presence of CUI in the RADIUS accounting messages". The
> whole backwards compatibility discussion is about these two presences not
> being the same thing, and about how the server can be assured that a CUI
> presented downstream to the NAS will also be presented upstream in the
> accounting messages.

The server owner *never* needs CUI to know who the real user is.  The
server can always use Class.

> 3) it appears to me that a differing interpretation of the word "require"
> may be the root cause for Barney's perception that it is primarily the NAS
> owner who *requires* CUI presence.
>
> We have to ask ourself what Barney meant when stating "require that CUI be
> present".  Is it a "require to increase revenue" - or a "require to avoid
> loss", also is he talking about CUI presence in the Accept or CUI presence
> in the accounting messages or both.

I'm basing my inference that it's the NAS/proxy owner who has the requirement
on Blair Bullock's spirited defense of CUI.  He's iPass, I believe.

A NAS or proxy owner who gets CUI in the Accept can always ensure that it's
present in accounting requests - the NAS directly and the proxy by using
Class if necessary.

> In the roaming privacy application of CUI, the NAS owner requires CUI to
> make money from an inroaming privacy roamer. If he does not support or
> advertise CUI he may loose top line revenue, but he does not incur a bottom
> line damage because he just rejects the potential customer. End of story. No
> hard damage occured, except a soft damage of loosing potential revenue.

This is simply not true, no matter how often it's asserted.  You can't tell
me that the NAS owner is going to bill the actual user directly, *because
CUI has already been conceded to be an alias*.  The NAS owner is going to
bill the proxy owner, and the proxy owner is going to bill the home server
owner, who may or may not bill the actual user.

> For the Home Server, it is a much stronger requirement to have assurance of
> CUI Support when accepting (to pay for) the usage of a privacy roamer. If it
> turns out the NAS did not support CUI than he incurs a bottom line hard
> damage, because he has to pay the NAS-owner anyway for the usage that he
> authorized, but has no means to charge it back to the user.
>
> In summary: I beleive the only one who has a *strong requirement* for CUI
> presence *in the accounting messages* is the server.

No - see my response to 2 above.

> I agree thought with Barney's business case view, that the NAS owner in a
> hotspot requires CUI presence to be able to serve privacy roaming customers.
> But there is no issue with that "requirement", as the NAS owner is in full
> control of his destiny, if he wants to increase revenue by serving privacy
> roamers, he may just  "always advertise CUI" or "advertise CUI as determined
> to be required".

No - the NAS owner only requires CUI if iPass won't do business without it.
That's not a technical requirement, or a logical requirement, but it is,
perhaps, a statement about the real world.

Barney

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.