AW: Comments to draft-ietf-radext-digest-auth-00.txt

Hi Miguel,

You wrote:
> I took a look at draft-ietf-radext-digest-auth-00.txt, based on the
> comments that I posted to an earlier version of the draft. I
> still have
> a few comments:
>
> 1) Section 4.1 has a table that maps RADIUS attributtes to
> Diameter SIP
> app. AVPs. I think this table is no longer needed, since Diameter SIP
> app imports (or will import in forthcoming version -05) the Digest-*
> attributes from your draft.
>
> Specifically, Diameter SIP app imports Digest-Method and
> Digest-URI from
> your draft, so there is no mapping at all. Therefore, Table 1 in your
> draft has to be removed.

diameter-sip-app-05 has additional SIP-AOR and SIP-Method AVPs, which have
no counterpart in radext-digest-auth-00. I think you defined SIP-AOR and
SIP-Method to be able to authorize actions of users ("User 'User-Name' is
allowed to send messages with a method 'SIP-Method' and AOR SIP-AOR").

Should I add SIP-Method, SIP-AOR (HTTP-Method, SIP-AOR?) to radext-digest-auth-00?
On the other hand, why stop with method and aor; providers might by interested
in authorizazion by Content-Type or even SDP header contents.

> 2) We discussed an atypical case when a SIP request contains
> more than
> one set of credentials, perhaps because the request traversed several
> proxies and each one authenticated the user. We agree to add some
> discussion, and the only text I found (correct me if I am
> wrong), is a
> bit weak in my opinion:
>
>     On reception of an HTTP-style request message, the RADIUS client
>     looks for a (Proxy-)Authorization header where the realm directive
>     matches its locally configured realm value.
>
> I would suggest to add a bit more of descriptive text, it is
> never a bad
> idea. I send you the text I added to the Diameter SIP app
> draft, you can
> copy/adapt/modify if you want:
>
> "There are situation where a SIP request traverses several
> proxies, and
> each of the proxies request to authenticate the SIP UA. In this
> situation, it is a valid scenario that a SIP request received
> at a SIP
> server contains several sets of credentials. The 'realm' directive in
> HTTP is the key that the Diameter client can use to determine which
> credential is applicable. It may happen also that none of the
> realms are
> of interests to the Diameter client, in which case the
> Diameter client
> MUST consider that no credentials (of interest) were sent. In
> any case,
> a Diameter client MUST send zero or exactly one credential to the
> Diameter server. The Diameter client MUST choose the
> credential based on
> the 'realm' directive in the Authorization/Proxy-Authorization header
> field, and it MUST match the realm of the Diameter client."

I will adapt and include this text.

> 3) We spoke that Digest-Response and Digest-Response-Auth
> attributes had
> an artificial limit of 32 octets, and I proposed to avoid having any
> limit. The current version of the draft indicates that these
> attributes
> have a lenght >= 34 (32 octets + the length + the attribute
> type). This
> allows future expansion if the size goes further than 32, but
> not if the
> size decreases. While it is unlikely that new algorithms will
> decrease
> this size, since I don't have a ball to guess the future, I still
> propose to have this size unlimited, i.e., Length => 3.
Ok.

> 4) I had another comment regarding the 'qop' parameter in
> HTTP Digest.
> The problem is that this pararameter can contain several values, for
> example, qop=auth,auth-int. The draft should indicate how to
> encode in
> Radius this several parameters. I haven't found this described yet.
>
> We had a discussion on the mailing list and I expressed my preference
> for option b, that I repeat below:
>
>    b) Each token is an attribute, thus, there might be multiple
>       Digest-Qop attributes in a particular Radius/Diameter message.
See section 3.2

"The RADIUS server MUST add Digest-Algorithm, Digest-Realm,
   SHOULD add one or more Digest-Qop and MAY add Digest-Domain,
   Digest-Opaque attributes to the Access-Challenge message.  If the
   server cannot choose a nonce, it replies with an Access-Reject
   message."

Wolfgang

--
T-Systems