RE: Radius-Geopriv: User Identity Confidentiality

hi jari,

thanks for your feedback. please see my comments below:

> Tschofenig Hannes wrote:
>
> > [hannes] the first issue: it is true that user identity
> > confidentiality also depends on the configuration of
> certain protocols
> > (particularly if protocols provide flexible mechanisms). in
> any case,
> > authentication and key exchange
>
> Yes.
>
> > protocols which offer public key based authentication are able to
> > provide better user identity confidentiality than protocols
> which only
> > use symmetric keys. the latter protocols are only able to
> use temporal identities.
>
> Yes, but does that affect the level of privacy offered to the user?
i think so. with symmetric key cryptography there are built-in limitations.
no matter how could your configuration is you will never be able to fully
protect yourself against active adversaries.

> Both approaches can certainly be made to fail, e.g., through
> bad configuration or through protocols that don't take into
> account all cases.

> > [hannes] regarding the second issue: 'we should talk about location
> > privacy rather than user identity confidentiality'
> >
> > here is my reasoning:
> > * we would like to avoid that the visited network obtains
> the user's
> > identity and its location information. the visited network will
> > obviously always obtain the user's location information. hence, we
> > should avoid that it receives the user's identity. within the
> > radius-geopriv document we can
>
> This is very reasonable.
>
> > only address aspects which are within the scope of radius (or
> > diameter) and certainly not within the scope of other protocols.
>
> This is a good approach, but its kind of hard to draw the
> line. EAP is strictly speaking another protocol, although its
> carried in AAA; and many L2 protocol issues from a NAS will
> be reflected in the AAA protocols in the same manner.

you are also right.

> [...]
>        to avoid the use of an IP address that is based on MAC address
>        [RFC 3041]. Some link layers make it possible to avoid MAC
>        addresses or change them dynamically.
>
>     o  Network access authentication procedures such as PPP CHAP [RFC
>        1994] or EAP [RFC 3748] may reveal the user's identity
> as a part
>        of the authentication procedure. Techniques exist to avoid
>        this problem in EAP, for instance by employing private Network
>        Access Identifiers (NAIs) in the EAP Identity Response message
>        [draft-ietf-radext-rfc2486bis-03.txt] and by method-specific
>        private identity exchange in the EAP method [16, 18, 19].
>        Support for identity privacy within CHAP is not available.
>
>     o  AAA protocols may return information from the home network to
>        the visited in a manner that makes it possible to
> either identify
>        the user or at least correlate his session with other sessions,
>        such as the use of static data in a Class attribute [RFC 2865]
>        or in some accounting attribute usage scenarios
>        [draft-ietf-radext-chargeable-user-id-00.txt].
>
>     o  Mobility mechanisms may reveal some permanent identifier
>        (such as a home address) in cleartext in the packets relating
>        to mobility signaling.
>
>     o  Application protocols may reveal other permanent identifiers.
>
>     Note that to prevent the correlation of identities with location
>     information it is necessary to prevent leakage of identity
>     information from all sources, not just one.
>
>     Unfortunately, most users are not educated about the importance of
>     identity confidentiality and there is a lack of support for it in
>     many protocols. This problem is made worse by the fact that the
>     users may be unable to choose particular protocols, as the choice
>     is often dictated by the type of network they wish to access, the
>     kind of equipment they have, or the type of authentication method
>     they are using.
>
>     A scenario where the user is attached to the home network
> is, from a
>     privacy point of view, simpler than a scenario where a user roams
>     into a visited network since the NAS and the home AAA are
> in the same
>     administrative domain.  No direct relationship between the visited
>     and the home network operator may be available and some
> AAA brokers
>     need to be consulted.  With subscription-based network
> access as used
>     today the user has a contractual relationship with the
> home network
>     provider which could allow higher privacy considerations to be
>     applied (including policy rules stored at the home
> network itself for
>     the purpose of restricting further distribution).
>
>     In many cases it is necessary to secure the transport of location
>     information along the RADIUS infrastructure.  Mechanism to achieve
>     this functionality are discussed in Section 15.
>
> Does this work for you? Feel free to edit...

your text proposal looks great. thanks!

ciao
hannes