Re: Scope of applicability for CUI

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 10:34:30AM -0600, Nakhjiri Madjid-MNAKHJI1 wrote:

> Can you explain it a bit more for the less sophisticated?

Well, a suggestion was made that a. CUI could be learned at the
Access-Accept, and b. that it would be a session identifier to allow the
/home/ AAA and the NAS to correlate their accounting records.

To me, this exactly describes Class; the home AAA is the first source of
the accept after, and thus defines Class; and it can use the Class
received in accounting records to correlate them with the unique access
value it generated earlier in Access-Accept.

The value can be either unique per login, or unique for a certain ad-hoc
identity that allows a number of minutes, or volume during a certain
timeslot.

At any rate, the entity that ultimately charges the user (the home AAA,
that vouches for the user's credentials) defines it, and it's present in
all accounting about this user.

So, the /only/ reason for CUI would be if some home AAA wishes to accept
a user, while expecting an intermediate AAA's owner to bill the user,
and it wants to convey the entity to bill to the intermediate AAA.

That such a scheme with distinguishable CUIs can be easily compromised
by a non-trusted NAS owner is conveniently ignored.

I'm of the school of belief that you should only send an accept for a
user if you're willing to foot the bill for him. And for all such
circumstances, Class works fine, and cannot be forged by the NAS owner
or any intermediate proxy owner if properly generated by the home AAA.

Kind regards,

Emile.