From: owner-radiusext@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-radiusext@ops.ietf.org] On Behalf Of Alan DeKok
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 12:09 PM
To: radiusext@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Scope of applicability for CUI

Avi Lior <avi@bridgewatersystems.com> wrote:
> Yes there is only one instance. But that is the least of the differences.
> Unlike Class, CUI is supposed to be interpreted by the client.  In so far
> that the client knows the CUI is assertion by the Home Network that this is
> a handle to a subscriber.

  If the main purpose of the CUI is to give an opaque handle to a
subscriber so proxies can control multiple logins, then I'm not sure
what it gains us.  The home server can limit multiple logins, so the
proxy server doesn't have to.  As Emile said, if the proxy server
doesn't trust the home server to manage multiple logins, it shouldn't
trust the home server to create the same CUI for the same user.

  The main benefit I see is that the multiple login use of the CUI is
managed by the proxy server, which means the home servers can be
simpler to configure.

  If that's the main reason for CUI, then I would like to see a
sentence or two in the document explaining the different approaches,
the issues with CUI, and why this approach was chosen.

  I'm not opposing it, I just want the reasons for choosing it to be
clear 3 years from now to people outside of radiusext.