RE: Scope of applicability for CUI

At 11:16 AM 12/22/2004, Avi Lior wrote:
>I think you don't understand how class works.
>The fundemental piece that you are missing is that the only entity that can
>draw any meaning out of the "Class" attribute is the entity that issued the
>"Class" attribute.  This is well documented in 2865.

Since David has tutored me in subtleties of the Class attribute, I suspect he understands it better than most. I am still trying to catch up..

My reading of its specification in RFC 2865 (quoted in entirety below) is that the accounting server is expected to be able to extract meaning from the Class attribute sent to the NAS by the authentication server. Isn't it common practice for these to be different servers?

John

5.25.  Class

   Description

      This Attribute is available to be sent by the server to the client
      in an Access-Accept and SHOULD be sent unmodified by the client to
      the accounting server as part of the Accounting-Request packet if
      accounting is supported.  The client MUST NOT interpret the
      attribute locally.

   A summary of the Class Attribute format is shown below.  The fields
   are transmitted from left to right.

    0                   1                   2
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
   |     Type      |    Length     |  String ...
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

   Type

      25 for Class.

   Length

      >= 3

   String

      The String field is one or more octets.  The actual format of the
      information is site or application specific, and a robust
      implementation SHOULD support the field as undistinguished octets.

      The codification of the range of allowed usage of this field is
      outside the scope of this specification.