RE: Scope of applicability for CUI

David ,

See inline.

If the home network is compliant to the draft it the assertion must be of a
User or a Chargeable Entity in the home network.  Any other meaning are not
acceptable.

> > I think though that there is consensus on the following:
> > -CUI is for the entities outside the home network;
> > -It is needed in cases where clients need to have an identity
> assertion
> > especially where there is no such possibility as in the
> case where the
> > username cannot be used for that purpose.

> OK.  So in this use case CUI is an alternate to User-Name (or
> possibly to Acct-Session-ID).

Huh? Accounting-Session-Id? Accounting Session Id changes even within a
single Login.  Its purpose is to link Starts with Interims and Stops. That's
it.

> > No. The "How: is not important. The "What" is. How you
> calculate the
> > number is really up to the operator.  The important thing is the
> > "What" which is what the number stands for. That is what we are to
> > standardize.
>
> I take it you are proposing to exclude from consideration any
> use cases for CUI other than:
>
> 1.) The NAS includes a previously received CUI in
> Accounting-Request messages, as supplemental or alternative
> information to User-Name or Acct-Session-ID.

What problem does this usecase address? If this usecase is trying to
*STRICTLY* solve the association of an particular Access-Request to an
accounting stream associated with that session, Irrespective of the User
Identity. Then this use case is not in-scope.  Class and Acct-Session-Id
could do this.   So we would exclude this one. It's covered by other RFCs.

> 2.) The HAAA (or Proxies??) include CUI in a CoA-Request
> message as a session identifier, of sorts.  (Of course, this
> begs the question of whether CUI is always unique to a
> particular session...)

I think we dropped CUI for dynamic authorization. BTW CUI would identify all
sessions for the user on that NAS, just the same as username would.  You
need a session identifier (e.g., Acct-Session-Id) to surgically remove a
particular session of a user.

> 3.) The NAS may compare the value of one instance of CUI to
> another instance of CUI to get some idea of whether the Home
> AAA Server considerers the identity of the users represented
> by these CUI instances as "equivalent" in some sense --
> either the same user or members of the same user group.

Yes NAS or to be even more precise RADIUS Client.

> I think it is true that the Class attribute could be used for
> (1) but not for (2) or (3).

> Does that sound about right?

As indicated, yes.