RE: [eap] Ordered delivery of EAP messages

Glen Zorn said:

"There are a couple of problems with this statement that I think are pertinent to the question at hand. First, RADIUS is a "lockstep" protocol in almost (if not exactly) the same way that EAP is: the semantics of the Identifier field in the header of RADIUS messages are identical to that of the EAP version (RFC 2865 only says that the Identifier must change on new requests, not how it must change -- in particular, monotonicity is not assured) and requests are retransmitted. The other problem is that neither RADIUS nor the underlying UDP transport guarantees in-order delivery of packets. So, I would claim that this sentence is completely false."

I think you are correct. If the RADIUS retransmission timer were under-estimated, RADIUS can deliver EAP messages out of order. That is, the NAS could retransmit an Access-Request, and then could receive an Access-Challenge in response to an earlier Access-Request. The NAS would then send a new Access-Request, which could cross paths with the retransmitted one.

Note that if an Event-Timestamp attribute were to be included in the RADIUS Access-Request, then the Identifier would change on the retransmitted Access-Request. The NAS would then be able to determine that a False Retransmission (FRTO) had occurred. But from the point of view of the RADIUS server, I don't think it matters, since it won't be checking that the Event-Timestamp attribute is monotonically increasing.