RE: [eap] Ordered delivery of EAP messages

Avi Lior said:

"If an EAP method designer designed their method assuming the in order
delivery of packets then this would be a bad thing I think.

A hacker could then exploit this assumption by re-order the packets.
Surely EAP methods are not susceptible to this type of attack. Right?"

Certainly, it is a good thing for an EAP method to protect itself against replay. Using the mechanism provided in RFC 3579, an EAP method could discard replayed packets and ask the NAS to send another one.

On the other hand, there are EAP methods that are not protected against replay (e.g. Identity, Notification, etc.). There are also situations in which EAP packets can be fragmented, and if reassembled in the wrong order, this could cause failure of the MIC which can be a terminal error (e.g. in TLS-based methods).

So overall, I don't think that the majority of EAP methods deployed today are capable of handling arbitrary reordering.