RE: [eap] Ordered delivery of EAP messages

Alper Yegin <mailto:alper.yegin@yegin.org> allegedly scribbled on
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 3:39 AM:

>> Seems reasonable.  So why wouldn't this reasoning apply to EAP as
>> well?
>
> With the appropriate normative text in the RFC covering both end
> points this could be used. But we don't have such text in RFC 3748.

OK, so what is the real purpose of the Identifier in EAP?  I would have
thought that this would be one:

   [5] Possible duplication.  Where the lower layer is reliable, it will
       provide the EAP layer with a non-duplicated stream of packets.
       However,  while it is desirable that lower layers provide for
       non-duplication, this is not a requirement.  The Identifier field
       provides both the peer and authenticator with the ability to
       detect duplicates.

But I'm hearing that this is N/A because somebody didn't bother to
implement it...