RE: Guidelines Document Discussion

[Avi] Ideally it will help if we did suggest an encoding for VSAs. SDO
will always need to create their own VSAs.  We are starting to see
convergences in the Wireless/Wireline networks and it would be nice if
SDOs attributes would interoperate or at least it should be easy to
translate between SDOs.

This seems like it might be an achievable goal. The RFC 2865 recommended VSA format has caused some problems because of its limitations (8-bit type space) and lack of treatment as opaque octets (the Diameter/RADIUS translation problem in RFC 4005). If we address the limitations, and make it clear that following the recommendation is not required and cannot be assumed by implementations, then this can work.

If I have an enumeration (of TRUE or FALSE) using a
32-bit value is wasteful in view of the size limitation of both
attributes and packet size.

Are you saying that the VSA space should allow one octet or two octet data types?

[Avi] A good idea for readability. But not a show stopper.  Is the IETF
willing to also honor SDOs name spaces? Probably not.

We could certainly recommend the use of unique name spaces for VSAs (e.g. SDO-Name) so as to avoid confusion.

[Avi] interoperability within the SDO or with others?  I think within
the SDO primarily.  To achieve interoperability between SDOs, and SDO is
free to use another SDOs attributes.  It would be helpful for us RADIUS
vendors if the encoding was the same though.

Right. Assuming that the SDOs utilize similar attribute formats, and the specifications are published, this should work. In particular, I would like to eliminate the need for SDOs to utilize RADIUS standard attributes just in order to have their specification widely disseminated. In the long term the IETF should strive to assist SDOs in defining their own RADIUS attributes.