RE: RFC 2882 and new Service-Type

Let be re-iterate some of Dave's comments....

The purpose of RFC 2882 was to indicate the nature and scope of
"extentions" to RADIUS that were seen in practice.  I have often called
it by a name that is not part of IETF nomenclature, a "Worst Practices"
document.

The goal of the document was to bring some of these issues to light,
so that hopefully they would be addressed by the AAA movement at the
time.  The politics of the situation at the time didn't seem to think
there was much to be done in the area.   I was trying to illustrate the
reality of the situation.  One prominent vendor objected vocally to his
products being described there.

Also note that it preceeds RFC 3575, and some of the sections quoted
below have probably been tweaked in response to it.

That said, being the author of the VSE concept, I still think it has
merit.  But it does suffer the arguments given here and later in this
thread.  If it were baked into the protocol somehow, then it would
benefit from the standard.

As an ad-hoc extention, VSEs can and will cause interoperability
problems.   I ran into at least one RADIUS server that couldn't handle
them at all because they exceeded the bit width of the variable they
had carefully optimized to carry the known values.    While this is an
example of a short sighted implementation, I think a standard should be
very clear on what and where values can be extended.  And since the WG
has not accepted the VSE scheme, I would not recommend it's use in a
product today.

David Mitton.