RE: comments on draft-zorn-radius-keywrap-12.txt

[Joe] Currently it is done by manual keying, which is less than ideal.

> >In particular the attributes are
> >designed not to require additional state on the RADIUS server so the
> >use of a KEK ID allows a new key to be brought into use.
> The KEK ID is
> >necessary unless a particular key management scheme is
> specified that
> >does not require it.
>
> RADIUS as it exists today does not require a KEK ID because
> it impliictly assumes that there is only one key used between
> a RADIUS client and server at a time and that this key is
> identified by the client and server IP
> addresses.   At IETF 68, Key Rollover was given as the
> primary reason why
> more than one key might be valid at a given time, so that
> some other key identifier might be needed.  Assuming that
> credible ciphers (e.g. AES) are used, why should key rollover
> represent a problem?

[Joe] yes, the primary reason to have a key ID is so you can change
keys.  Credible ciphers are not the problem.  People may wish to change
keys for administrative reasons (change of personnel etc.).  In addition
if an automated key management is performed "out-of-band" then you may
need to identify a specific key from several generated keys. Regardless
of whether it is cryptographically necessary or not a key lifetime is
often defined for management purposes, when the life time expires the
key needs to be replaced.

> >The KM ID serves to identify they key that is being
> transported.  This
> >definition of this is specified by the application for which
> the key is
> >to be used.  The draft should specify that for a the EAP-MSK
> >application this field is not used since there already is an
> attribute
> >defined to hold the EAP-MSK ID.
>
> So you are saying that this specification is designed to
> enable future RADIUS key managment applications, rather than
> the existing ones?

[Joe] No, the specification supports existing RADIUS key management
applications as well as enables future one.