RE: Issue 226: RFC 3576bis and Renumbering

> I've never implemented RFC 3576, so please excuse me if I ask silly
> questions. If the RADIUS Server / Dynamic Access Client receives a CoA-NAK,
> is not supported by the RADIUS Client / Dynamic Access Server, whether not
> the Error-Cause attribute is present?

A CoA-NAK is always sent in response to a CoA-Request with a Service-Type of "Authorize Only" regardless of whether the NAS supports this Service-type value or not.   A CoA-ACK is never sent in response.

So only the Error-Cause Attribute distinguishes a successful response from an unsuccessful one.  An Error-Cause Attribute is required in the case of a successful response; it was a MAY in RFC 3576 for an unsuccessful one.  Given this, a RADIUS server would have to interpret the absence of an Error-Cause attribute in a CoA-NAK as an indication of failure, but it would not know *why* it failed.

> Are there other cases when Error-Cause is absent and it means something
> else?

Where the Service-Type Attribute is not present or the value is not "Authorize Only" it is possible to send a CoA-NAK or Disconnect-NAK and not include an Error-Cause attribute.   But in such a case, a CoA-NAK/Disconnect-NAK always indicates a failure.