RE: Issue 226: RFC 3576bis and Renumbering

David,

"OTOH, I don't think we need to get too hung up about the nomenclature
of the attribute.  The fact at the prefix is Acct should not be
sufficient to disqualify its usage as a session identifier for the
authentication server as well as the accounting server.  A session ID is
a session ID."

Accounting Session ID only identifies an accounting session Start/Stop
and its interims, if any.  A given "session" (IP Session or
Access-Session) may contain a number of parallel accounting sessions, or
a sequence of accounting sessions.

The problem we are having is that the term Session is really overloaded.
Here is an example taken from WiMAX (similar to PP2 as well)

A user has:

A) - WiMAX session.  Obtained when it performed Network Access
Authentication and Authorization.

B) - One or more IP sessions.  Optionally btained during A.  But also
via MIP etc....

C) - Each IP session may have one or more flows (which are also
sessions).

There maybe accounting generated for A, for each session under B and for
each flow under C.

Accounting-Multi-Session-ID is used to correlate all of these together.
Inclusion of Framed-IP in the accouting records correlate all the IP
sessions.  Inclusion of other attributes help correlate the flows under
C.

When it comes to 3576 and DM or even COA:

We need to be able to terminate or modify the Session WRT to A.  That
is, sending a DM with an NAI or some other user identification, we
terminate all of the users IP sessions.

We need to be able to terminate or modify any of the users IP sessions.
Therefore sending a DM which includes a user identification and an IP
address will only terminate that users IP session.

Etc......

Accounting Session Id maybe useful in some scenarios and totally useless
in other scenarios.  This is because it can change frequently.