RE: RFC3576bis and Session State

Glen Zorn writes...

> > One problem with that draft is that the RADEXT WG charter
> > disallows the introduction of new commands.
>
> Ah, so!  Are you _sure_?  Are you positive that 10 minutes after
> we submit it to the RFC Editor as an individual submission it won't
> magically become in conflict w/this WG's charter?

I think you're aware of the history of the RADEXT charter, but I'll review
it briefly for those who may not be.  RADEXT was formed to publish some
Proposed Standard and Informational RFCs creating narrowly targeted
extensions to RADIUS, to meet a set of requirements that were fomenting in
the Internet community and had no formal outlet.  The charter was defined
narrowly because the O&M ADs at the time (Randy Bush and Bert Wijnen), with
the support of the IESG, wanted to avoid creating a RADIUS V2 protocol.
Diameter was recently completed at that time, and enhancing RADIUS to
duplicate some of Diameter's features was considered to be a waste of time
and effort in the IETF.

The RADEXT WG charter is narrow to prevent extensive changes to RADIUS in
the RADEXT WG.  It seems ironic, if not downright odd, that the IESG would
want to see publication of documents creating extensive changes to RADIUS by
independent submission to the RFC Editor, if they don't want to see that
level of change via the WG process.  OTOH, the people are going to do what
they need to do to fulfill perceived customer demands, so I don't know that
the IETF can prevent you from extending RADIUS in ways seen to be
"detrimental".

I personally think it would be better to do that kind of work in the IETF,
or to not do it at all.  YMMV.  Of course, charters are subject to revision,
especially if there is a demonstrated need in the Internet community and all
the rest of the chartered work has been completed.  So, no, I'm not
_absolutely_ sure.  :-)