Re: Issue 226: RFC 3576bis and Renumbering

David B. Nelson wrote:
> Yes, but you'd need Accounting START messages, as well.

  Yes.  But no interim updates, and no normal accounting activities.

> While I agree that one _could_ start sending Accounting-Request messages to
> RADIUS Servers, that seems to be a muddling of the authentication and
> authorization vs. accounting roles.

  There are a lot of startups in the Bay Area building multi-protocol
equipment and doing cross-protocol user identity management.  So
muddling roles isn't a new idea.  In this case, all we're really saying
is that for CoA, it's best for all A's in AAA to be co-resident.

  There's no need for the NAS to generate the accounting messages,
either.  The accounting server could just as easily send the
notifications to the authentication server, if they're not co-resident.