NAS-Port-Type and sub-types?

As a result of the IANA allocation request for a NAS-Port-Type for XPON (which was approved, based on the RADEXT mailing list discussion), we got some feedback from IEEE 802, enclosed below.

Some questions raised by the feedback include:

a. What is a NAS-Port-Type anyway?  My understanding is that this attribute is mostly used to enable the RADIUS server to execute link-specific policy (e.g. If NAS-Port-Type="IEEE 802.11" Then Profile = "" So my answer is that it represents link type information that a RADIUS server administrator will find useful.

b. What is the appropriate granularity for NAS-Port-Type?  In some cases, values are more granular than a link type (e.g. 3 values for ISDN), in others a single value applies to multiple link technologies (e.g. Wireless -- Other).

c. How should we handle new IEEE 802 technologies going forward?  IEEE 802 is not only creating new link technologies (e.g. IEEE 802.16, 802.20, etc.) they are also developing new authentication schemes within those technologies (e.g. IEEE 802.11r, IEEE 802.1af, etc.).   So how does a NAS indicate that an Access-Request is for IEEE 802.11s or IEEE 802.11r rather than just IEEE 802.11, or IEEE 802.1af, rather than IEEE 802.3/IEEE 802.1X-2004?  Allocating a NAS-Port-Type value does not seem like a good fit for that kind of differentiation.