Re: [HOKEY] comments on draft-gaonkar-radext-erp-attrs-00

I agree with Glen's analysis (except that the entity that requests a
DSRK from home domain server is a visited domain server, not a NAS in
my reading of the draft).  Security property of a key management
mechanism that relies on a particular AAA protocol deployment can
easily be lost when the AAA protocol is deployed in a wrong way (e.g.,
placing a AAA proxy that can read the key on the key distribution
path).  The problem with such an approach is there is no
protocol-level mechanism to prevent mis-deployment of AAA protocol.
I don't think such a mechanism should survive in the long run.

A securer and cleaner way to avoid dependency on AAA protocol
deployment is to use a 3-party key distribution protocol that does not
rely on underlying transport security.  HOKEY WG is already taking
that approach: draft-ietf-hokey-key-mgm-00.txt.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba