review of draft-ietf-radext-management-authorization-00.txt

Hi,

I have reviewed <draft-ietf-radext-management-authorization-00.txt>.

a) p1: s/more granular/granular/

   If you keep the word more, you have to make it clear to what you
   compare things...

b) I am generally not clear what HTTP means as a management protocol
   and think this should be defined. I assume you mean a human GUI
   interface running over HTTP but since you just say HTTP, it becomes
   confusing if you have for instance NETCONF/SOAP/HTTP.

c) p3: s/ASCII-text/text-based/

   I think it does not really matter whether its ASCII or UTF8 or...

d) Are HTTP and HTTPS really two different framed management
   protocols? Or is HTTPS just HTTP with a transport of TLS?

e) p3: Add NETCONF to the examples of framed management protocols
   and include RFC 4741 in the references.

f) p4: s/containing policy name/containing a policy name/

g) p6: The list of framed management protocols probably needs some
   thought. Here is what is in the ID:

         The Value field is four octets.

         1      SNMP-Transport-Model
         2      HTTP
         3      HTTPS/TLS
         4      SFTP (via SSH)
         5      SCP (via SSH)

   As mentioned above, why are HTTP and HTTPS different management
   protocols? If you include file transfer protocols, you should
   perhaps also include FTP and TFTP (as many existing boxes use
   them).  Perhaps we should call "SNMP-Transport-Model" simply
   SNMP/TSM. Perhaps we should also add SNMP/USM (even though we
   currently do not have a defined way to generate RADIUS requests
   from USM). And as mentioned above, we should include NETCONF (but
   then I note that NETCONF can run over SSH, BEEP, and SOAP).

h) p6: s/Telnet carried within Secure Shell/Secure Shell/

   I do not think SSH really carries telnet in the sense of the telnet
   protocol.

i) p7 says:

     The Management-Policy-Id attribute indicates the name of the
     management access policy for this user.  Zero or more Management-
     Policy-Id attributes MAY be sent in an Access-Accept packet.

   Why is the expected behaviour when sending multiple
   Management-Policy-Id attributes? Can the client choose one of them
   in whatever way and apply it? Or was the client allowed to cache
   this information and to switch freely between these policies
   without further request to the Radius server?

j) p8: s|SSH/telnet|SSH|g

k) p9: Would it be possible to indicate CLI access via telnet over
   tls?

l) p12 has text that says:

     This specification describes the use of RADIUS and Diameter for
     purposes of authentication, authorization and accounting for
     management access to devices within local area networks.

   Why restrict this to "local area networks"? Does it really matter
   whether this is used on a LAN, MAN, or WAN? If yes, explain why.

/js

Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany