Re: Review of Management Authorization -00 document

Wasn't the purpose to allow an admin connecting to a terminal
server to administer it over a serial connection?

Yes, among other options.  I've always implemented NAS-Prompt and
Administrative for access to the CLI, regardless of whether the connection
was to the local console (e.g. serial RS-232) or via a remote terminal
protocol (e.g. via telnet over TCP/IP.  Most NASes that I'm familiar with
have a host-IP address and (at least) a telnet listener.

My experience with Service-Type=NAS-Prompt (if memory serves) was
for administering a NAS over a serial port, with authentication protected
by a token system. As I recall, it was possible to utilize Service-Type=NAS-Prompt
alongside token authentication.

In those scenarios, I would guess that the NAS would send Service-Type=NAS-Prompt in the Access-Request, along with no Transport-Protocol attribute. If the user came in via Telnet or SSH, the Transport-Protocol would change depending on what was used. Is this more or less the usage model that is envisaged, where the NAS tells the RADIUS server what type of access is being requested, and the server decides whether to
authorize it?