RE: [Diffserv] ifSpeed with DiffServ PIB and Framework PIB [Previously Re: draft-ietf-rap-frameworkpib-06]

This discussion has for me some confusing aspects. The existence of
several management protocols is not something new. After all most of the
devices that I know 'always' supported at least two management protocols
- CLI and SNMP - now COPS emerged for policy configuration on some
devices, and there are several other around.

I am not sure that the requirement of not duplicating information is
caught in any of the standards. It is more a common sense requirement,
but behind it hides the more complex issue of a single data model for
all IETF management protocols. This is the real issue that we need to
face as we advance towards the 'new generation' of management protocols,
and in the absence of a valid solution to this problem no real
consistence can be expected in this space.

Before Brian jumps on me, I would say that this discussion might be
appropriate for one of the 'management - new generation' lists, but
before we move there (if anybody is interested in the continuation of a
thread on this) I wanted to have the reply visible for the participants
in the original thread.

Regards,

Dan