Re: [RRG] New RG charter discussion

On Feb 25, 2007, at 1:19 AM, Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.be wrote:

forgot to mention that the understanding of the problem and its modelling (allowing for extrapolation) is also the only way to reliably determine

a) the severity of the problem (the real issue is that variation in the
estimations result in huge difference over periods of X years)

b) by when the existing routing and addressing system is potentially going to result in serious problems (how much head-room is left and over which period can this evolution be sustainted vs routing system capabilities and
their own evolution)

c) which causes are the most impacting and in which conditions they occur
(noticing that some of these causes are constraints, "future" solution
would have to accommodate them)

the point is that (even a partial) an answer to these question can lead to
different levels of investigations in terms of solution space:
algorithmic, new routing paradigms, etc. but also routing protocol
design/engineering, system engineering, etc.

We already have one talk lined up for Prague that purports to provide a preliminary description of the problem. It should be an excellent launch point for those that are interested in spending more time on problem analysis.

For folks that agree that some architectural changes are necessary, I suspect that the scope of the solution space will be bound more by the other requirements that we choose to address rather than the details of the scalability problem. For example, architectural support for nomadicity may easily subsume any difficulties presented by multi-homing.

Regards,
Tony