Re: [RRG] Locator/identifier separation : assumptions on locators

By the following I am only talking about a long-term solution.

Endpoint identifier /locator split : Yes definitely.
Each of these two items may get a structure. Lixia showed some for the locator.
Wrt the EID: An AFI (address family identifier) may indicate the kind of identifier. Currently E.164 addresses (telephone numbers) are mapped by DNS to IP-addresses.
This is not necessary (at least in a long-term solution), if we have the locator in addition.
There may be further address families we don't even know as of today (e.g.one  for all intelligent traffic lights:-)?). By going for multiple address families (IPv4, IPv6 will of course also be such families) another dead sin from the start becomes obvious: Different processing like unicast, versus anycast, versus multicast, versus broadcast, versus mp2p, versus mp2mp should be signalled by means of some mode of operation field in the header - and not by separate address ranges. Imagine to have individual address ranges for all  address families and for all of these modes of operation ! What a bad design! Look at IPv6 : it introduces some anycast address range instead of abolishing the multicast addresss range! This is my view on EIDs.

My view on the split itself: See the gain for TE when traffic towards one and the same egress locator can easily be identified for the sake of TE-treatment !

A single word about the locator: This is the most interesting object for all who are interested in future proven routing technology, isn't it?

Heiner

In einer eMail vom 21.03.2007 23:28:40 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt tli@cisco.com:
On Mar 21, 2007, at 9:22 PM, Olivier Bonaventure wrote:

> I think that if we want to make progress in the RRG, there should be
> competition between different proposals. I hope that several different
> proposals for a new architecture will be developped within the group.

Agreed, of course.

> Concerning the utilization of locators, it seems reasonable to assume
> that they will be of fixed size if the proposed solution is built
> on top
> of IPv4 or IPv6. If the solution relies on another "infrastructure"
> than
> IPv4/v6, then VLL might be an option.

I take from this that you want the flexibility to work outside of the
v4/v6 framework.  I'm fine with that, I'm just happy to be explicit
about it.

Tony