Re: [RRG] Comments on the Design Goals I-D

My Suggestion wrt. 3.1:

Provide an architecture which "abolishes the scalability problem"
Then  you have no problems with catering for 3.2 and 3.3.

I mentioned it in Prague: What shall this stretch-philosophy be all about?
Is it to discredit particular solutions ? What is the gain of it ?
Obviously, it cannot discredit a detour per se. The path of a detour is longer than the shortest path -this is well-known by everybody and not a secret.

Heiner

In einer eMail vom 24.04.2007 23:56:07 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt ksriram@nist.gov:
Tony:

I have marked my suggested changes in your I-D;
please see the attached word document with highlighted text (in red).
I am also copying the suggested changes here below as in-line text.

In Section 3.8:

My suggestion in Section 3.8 is to replace the top two paragraphs with the following four, which are inclusive of the content of original paragraphs:

The routing subsystem is responsible for computing a path from any point on the Internet to any other point in the Internet. The quality of the routes that are computed can be measured by a number of metrics. A comprehensive list of performance matrices and evaluation scenarios is needed and can be perhaps fully addressed in a companion I-D or annex to this document. Broadly the performance criteria would include metrics such as route quality and stability, robustness, scaling, control-plane load, inter-domain mobility optimization, etc.

Just to stimulate further thinking, we mention here some metrics that seem to be obvious for the problem space that is in consideration. These are table-size reduction ratio (TSRR), convergence time, and stretch (of path length). To evaluate the metrics, a reference AS-level topology should be defined together with appropriate service provider policies (see [JSAC-NS06] for example). The baseline performance metrics would be those for the current BGP routing over the reference topology. The TSRR is the ratio of the size of the routing table for a proposed architecture over that of the current BGP routing (for the reference topology). Comparisons can be made for all the metrics of interest between new addressing/routing architectures and those for the baseline case.

The stretch of a routing scheme is the maximum ratio of the length of the routing path, on which a packet is delivered, to the length of the shortest path from the source to the destination node, over all source-destination pairs [PODC06]. Besides the maximum ratio, it would also be of interest to compute the average and the CDF of the ratio that characterizes the stretch. The CDF of the ratio would be in the form of the percentage of source-destination pairs that experience stretch less or equal to x% (x = 0% to 100% in increments of 10%).

To estimate the convergence time, a suitable reference perturbation from the steady state of the routing state can be defined. The perturbation can be in the form of restarts of some selected routers or perhaps some TCP resets that would induce BGP resets on selected peering links. The routing state re-convergence time should be measured for each of the proposed addressing/routing architectures over the reference topology under the reference perturbation condition.

In Section 3.9:

My suggestion in Section 3.9 is to replace the paragraph there with the following (includes the content of the original paragraph):

Currently, the routing subsystem is secured through a number of protocol specific mechanisms of varying strength and applicability. Any new architecture is required to provide at least the current level of security. Given that working groups such as RPSEC and SIDR have already identified systemic security weaknesses in the current system, the routing security for any proposed new architectures should extend beyond the current level. It should be noted that the current state of the art in routing protocol security would advance by the time of deployment of a new solution for addressing/routing. For example, the security solutions from SIDR WG efforts in the IETF will likely progress to RFCs and could be already in deployment in this time frame.

In Section 3.5:

Comment: At the end of this section, "without this painful event" sounds subjective.
To clarify, please replace "end-sites to change providers without this painful event." with either
(a) "some end-sites should be allowed selectively to change providers without requiring renumbering."
or,
(b) "end-sites should be allowed to change providers (with renumbering) but consideration should be
given to minimizing the disruptive impact of the transition."

In Section 6.2:

Please add the following informative reference:

[JSAC-NS06]   K. Sriram, D. Montgomery, O. Borchert, O. Kim, and D.R. Kuhn, "Study of BGP Peering Session Attacks and Their Impacts on Routing Performance," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications: Special issue on High-Speed Network Security, Vol. 24, No. 10, October 2006, pp. 1901-1915.

I hope this is helpful. Thank you.
Sriram

K. Sriram, Ph.D.
Advanced Network Technologies Division