Re: [RRG] Precision of the goals?

IMO the biggest hurdle for the most that take part in this discussion is their expertise on traditional IETF (BGP) routing. My recommendation: Lean back, forget about all the details, ignore what is a RIB or FIB, or stretch or other measurements,but trust yourself. Let loose. Don't be afraid of any revolutionary solution. Because at the end, there will be enough time and opportunity to think about how the existing machinery (OSPF,BGP) can be utilized for any solution that will replace exactly these routing protocols.

Heiner

In einer eMail vom 27.04.2007 10:06:45 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt brc@zurich.ibm.com:
I'm wondering how much precision there should be in the goals.
Just to take the first one as an example:

>    Thus, the first required goal is to provide significant improvement
>    to the scalability of the routing plane.

Should we be looking for a way to measure that goal? For example,
by having a goal that the RIB size goes like log(N) for some measure N?
Obviously that is simplistic - my point is to ask whether we
want to define metrics.

If the goals are only qualitative, it will be hard to judge
proposals.

BTW another point occurred to me when reading the Asbtract

>     ...The RRG is designing
>    an alternate architecture to meet these challenges.  This document
>    consists of a prioritized list of design goals for the architecture.

If we want the broader community to take any notice of the promised design,
it seems necessary to get some measure of buy-in from the broader community
for the goals, once they have taken shape.

     Brian