Re: [RRG] Precision of the goals?

On May 18, 2007, at 7:29 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

So What about adding the following quantifier to the existing scalability goal:
   the first required goal is to provide significant improvement
   to the scalability of the routing plane; it is highly desirable
   to make the routing plane scale independently from the Internet
   user population growth.

Yes, I think that is a good compromise between completely qualitative
goals and over-specification; it offers some sort of measuring
stick.

Thanks Brian.

I've received a comment suggesting that "routing plane" is somewhat informal and less precise than the commonly accepted "control plane", so I've shifted to that terminology. Also, we've defined the term "strongly desired" for expressing our priorities, so I've used that instead. After some minor wordsmithing, the resulting text then reads:

	  ... Carrying this large amount of state in the
	  control plane is expensive and places undue cost burdens on network
	  participants that do not necessarily get value from the increases in
	  the routing table size.  Thus, the first required goal is to provide
	  significant improvement to the scalability of the control plane.
	  It is strongly desired to make the control plane scale
	  independently from the growth of the Internet user population.

Is everyone ok with that?

Tony