RE: [RRG] Route Flap Damping parameters

Thanks for the information Deep. I have developed a model of the RFD algorithm, and have been using it to test some equations derived from them which characterize some of the time-response properties of the algorithm. These equations can then be used to set the RFD parameters to achieve certain response properties. This takes the analysis one step above just trying different parameter sets in a simulation. As a first cut, the flap profiles presented in Bush and Griffin's presentation package: http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0210/ppt/flap.pdf were plugged into the model to see if the damping response could be improved. The early results look promising, but the analysis needs to be taken to the next step and these need to be tested in a BGP simulation.

Cheers,
Jim.

From: Medhi, Deep [mailto:DMedhi@umkc.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 4:27 PM
To: LOWE Jim; K. Sriram; rrg@psg.com
Subject: RE: [RRG] Route Flap Damping parameters

Hi JIm,

   RFC2439 talks about the originally idea of RFD. However, the steps aren't easy to follow, always. So, I derived the formula, which is really the solution of a differential equation with exponential decay, so that I can emulate the idea. The formulat is shown in LaTeX math mode below (it looks ugly in this form, much nicer/simpler in actual display:-)

\begin{equation}
   \begin{array}{lll}
   P(t) &= &\left\{ \begin{array}{ll}
              0, &  t < t_0 \\
              P_{{\scriptsize\textrm{inc}}}, & t = t_0 \\\
   P(t_i)\ \times\ \e^{^{   \frac{- ( t - t_i) \log 2}{H}}}, &  t > t_0
      \end{array} \right. \\
      \\
  P(t_i) &= &    P(t_i) + P_{{\scriptsize\textrm{inc}}} \qquad \quad i=1, 2, ... .
  \end{array}
\end{equation}

where $H$ is the half-life quantity, penalty amount per flap is $P_{inc}$, and route flap occurs at t_0, t_1, t_2, ...
You can play with supress limit and reuse limit.

This is described in detail in Section 8.9 of

D. Medhi and K. Ramasamy, Network Routing: Algorithms, Protocols, and Architectures, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 2007,

For comparative purpose, I plotted for a couple of different values of flaps and max-flaps in a figure, also included in Section 8.9. I wrote an awk code to generate data for the plots. If you want my awk code, please let me know. By playing with it, I believe you might be able to try out your idea, unless I missed something.

Thanks.

    -- Deep
    http://www.csee.umkc.edu/~dmedhi