Re: [RRG] Six/One: A (Different) Solution for Routing and Addressing in IPv6

>> Yes, Six/One can be used in proxy mode.
>>
>> The disadvantage of running Six/One in proxy mode compared to normal
>> host-based operation of Six/One is that, in proxy mode, a host (be it at
>> Six/One level or at application level) loses the ability to choose a
>> particular provider for its packets.
>
> Many folks would consider that a benefit.  Hosts within an enterprise
> need to be managed in a scalable manner, which effectively necessitates
> the proxy approach.  This is the same driver that makes proxy mode for
> shim6 a pragmatic necessity.   Along with that proxy mode, it would seem
> that this would relieve the burden on the host of learning and retaining
> all of the addresses in its bunch.  This would actually simplify
> deployment.

Hello Tony,

I see your points, have two comments, though.

(1)  Complexity on hosts

The functionality of host-based multi-homing solutions is very similar
to what the hosts need to accomplish for mobility management anyway.
Six/One specifically can be integrated with mobility management.  It
could, e.g., easily be integrated into Mobile IPv6 without changing
Mobile IPv6 too much.  I was planning to describe this in the Six/One
document, but did not have the time so far.

Learning and retaining IP addresses in a bunch does not take extra
effort for a host because hosts configure IP addresses for all
advertised subnet prefixes already according to RFC 2462[bis].  Most
hosts also already use the same interface identifier for all of their IP
addresses.

(2)  Host influence on/awareness of provider selection

The ultimate goal of all routing and addressing solutions is to provide
better connectivity to users.  I hence don't consider it a benefit if
those same solutions eliminate a user's ability to select a connection.

Two reasons:

- Applications, in particular real-time media applications, have an
advantage if they can select a connection because that allows them to
choose a path that is best for a particular traffic type.

- Transport protocols, too, would benefit from the ability to select a
connection.  They would also benefit from an awareness of connectivity
changes as they could so better adapt to such changes.

Cheers,
- Christian