Re: [RRG] Re: [RAM] Tunneling overheads and fragmentation

On Sep 13, 2007, at 19:23 , Dino Farinacci wrote:

I just re-read RFC 2460 section 5. Admittedly things are less
clear for IPv4, but it seems clear that IPv6 senders should not
exceed 1280 bytes (pre-encapsulation) unless they have succeeded
in discovering a larger path MTU.

Nice to hear some good news for a change.  ;-)

Back to our regularly scheduled not-so-good news: there is of course the paradox that we don't get to send large packets until we know we can, but the only way to find out the supported packet size is by sending large packets.