Re: [RRG] Re: TRRP-Via - option header vs. encapsulation

Is there any reason to think that routers in general - BGP and
internal routers - will be upset by an option header, specifically a
new kind of option header as you suggest?

Another gentleman mentioned to me privately that currently deployed
routers tend to kick any packets with options to the slow (software)
forwarding path since the options might require the router to take
special action. Perhaps its possible to change that behavior with a
software upgrade that offers a configurable to ignore record-route and
timestamp options in favor of keeping IP packets with options in the
fast path.

Operators have been very leery of unrecognised or new options for
many years - in fact my own proposal to solve the R&A problem using
IPv4 options was shot down on those grounds at IETF 29.

Requiring an upgrade to every router in the Internet to recognise
(or at least, not to discard) a new option is a very tough deployment
strategy.

   Brian