re: [RRG] Nimrod, NIIA, HIP... as a long term solution?

See in line,please.

Since Nimrod has split EID and locator, is it still necessary to deploy a
new locator namespace to support hierarchical routing? IPv4 or IPv6 is
aggregatable in nature. Can't they be used directly for hierarchical
routing?

Regarding incremental deployment, IPv4 and IPv6 will coexist for a long time
during IPv6 transition. I think the transition to the new locator namespace
mentioned above will encounter the same quandary.

> The deployment plan for Nimrod was basically what we would now term a
"jack
> up" approach, to allow support of unmodified hosts. (Many Nimrod features
> would not be accessible to unmodified hosts, of course.) IPv4 addresses
would
> become EIDs; the first Nimrod router that encountered a 'bare' IPv4 packet
> would map that EID into the appropriate Nimrod locator. (Nimrod locators
> would *not* necessarily be found in every packet inside the Nimrod router
> system, but that capability would mostly not be accessible to unmodified
> hosts.)
>
> We didn't spend a lot of time on the "jack up" part of the design
> (specifically the distibution of those mappings); I think we thought it
would
> be pretty straight-forward. Thinking about LISP a lot has enlightened me -
> although of course the network is a lot bigger these days, and has to be
> engineered to deal with stuff we didn't understand well back then (e.g.
DoS